Friday, September 28, 2007

It ain't easy being "green"

I have spent a significant amount of time lately in prayer asking God where He is calling St. John’s to venture in 2008. A recurring theme of these prayers center on God’s call for us to be more environmentally friendly. I am not sure the correlation between these prayers and our upcoming viewing/discussion of An Inconvenient Truth, but I am sure it has something to do with it. I find myself captivated by the notion of caring for our environment in a healthier way. In today’s language we refer to the concept as being "green". As I pray, asking God what it means for St. John’s to be more “green”, a few things come to mind:
-I am going to need some help. I know just enough about being “green” to get myself in trouble. I don’t even know how to put the recycle bin out in a way that the truck will pick our stuff up. At St. John’s, we need some folks who can put their heads together and get us on the right track.
-I know this is a lesson I need to teach/model to/for my daughter. Her generation is going to need to be more “green” than any other since the Industrial Revolution.
-All small things CAN and DO make a difference.
-I am going to jump start this movement by creating a bottle/can Sunday the last Sunday of each month. It will be an opportunity for individuals who desire to contribute to our "green" campaign, clean out their garages, and help fund the missional efforts of St. John’s all at the same time.

I hope to expand on these thoughts in the coming weeks and months. Will it be easy being "green"? I don't know. What I do know is-

God will provide direction.

No comments: