Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Let go and let God!

Over the past few weeks I have been involved in a couple of discussions about forgiveness. The topic has been on my mind so much that I even preached about the forgiveness offered in Philemon a few weeks ago. It seem as though forgiveness is tough for most people. Actually, the forgiveness part is easy for many as long as they can add, "but I won't forget". Yet this is counter to what God calls us to, to be people who forgive and re-establish relationships with those we forgive and start with a clean slate, no reminders of how we will "not forget". I am not saying that we should become doormats or anything, that we should let ourselves be abused by another, I am simply suggesting that when we forgive, forget and engage in relationship again we have done our part. If the one we forgive cannot handle that type of forgiveness we have to let go with the knowledge that we did what we are called to do, and then we have to give it up to God. What I am learning through these conversations is the power of being made free when we truly forgive and let go of the baggage that goes along with "but I will not forget". It is almost as if we say, "this issue or hurt will not rule my life". After many of these conversations, I wonder if anyone who ever carried around that saying about someone close to them really ever felt better because of "not forgetting"?

No comments: