Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Great passage from "The Fidelity of Betrayal"

One of the books I am reading is "The Fidelity of Betrayal" by Peter Rollins. In the first few pages I am struck by its content and how it arrives as a balm/antagonist to the journey I have been on reconstructing my theology of late. Here is a paragraph to illustrate what I am reading about:

Rollins writes, "Christianity is not brain surgery or rocket science, it is not quantum mechanics or nuclear physics; it is both infinitely easier and more difficult than all of these. The fragile frame of faith is fanned into life so simply; all we need to do is sit still for a few moments, embrace the silence that engulfs us, and invite that flame to burn bright within us. This act is simpicity itself, and, just perhaps, after a lifetime of hardship and struggle, a few of us will achieve it and be set alight by it."

I am thankful how Rollins, in his writing, is helping to fan my flame of faith. The rub seems to be how I rarely look at faith for its simplicity, that being a follower of Jesus indeed can be simple yet I often make it complex. I am then left to wonder if it is hardship and struggle or egocentricity and a lack of courage that drives my faith to complexity and gets in the way. Or maybe the thought of intentional silence and my inability to embrace it. Or maybe the dark reaches of my soul prevents me from inviting the flame to fully burn brightly within me.

The journey of faith continues.....

No comments: