Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Excitement abounds!

This past Sunday we were blessed with great worship at St. John's. Our soloist sang a beautiful arrangement of "El Shaddai", which literally translates from the Hebrew as "God Almighty", and our lesson from Isaiah was a good reminder of how God calls us to be witnesses to others and not just serve ourselves. This Sundays blessings included two new families in our midst to check us out. It is always awesome to see new people sharing worship with us. I am thankful for all the ways that our community of faith welcomes these new faces. As always, my hope and dream for these new folks is that they find a place where they feel fed by the Spirit and after some discernment find themselves called to become rooted in the life and ministry of our church as we journey together to where God is leading us.

New people in worship also helps us learn about the things we are not doing so well. For instance, we do not have a good system in place to gather information about our visitors and let them know about our church. We need to develop a system to better track those who visit our church so that we can be in better contact with those who desire contact after they share worship with us. I hope in the coming weeks and months to develop a system that better addresses this issue. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

-Bicycle Pastor

2 comments:

SMH said...

Lunice did an awesome job singing El Shaddai. It's one of my favorites and I hadn't heard it in a long time. What a treat!

I, too, was excited to see 2 new families in church last weekend. That's what happens when we're visible in the community and I hope it's a trend that will continue.

We do need to work on our membership development process. I don't know enough about the behind-the-scenes steps that are taken already to make many suggestions, but I would be happy to work with someone else on improving the process. Are there any volunteers out there?

Bicycle Pastor said...

Thanks for your comment, smh. I hope someone agrees to work with you to improve our process.