Thursday, August 30, 2007

Unique way to help the hungry

Labor Day blessings to each of you in the name of the one who cannot fail, Jesus the Christ!

I am choosing the end of summer to re-commit myself to eating healthier meals. Usually I eat reasonably healthy but the summer brings way too much ice cream, BBQ, french fries and beer while grilling out. It is time to curb my appetite for those indulgences, and as I do I would invite you to join me in a new way to help the hungry and poor in our community and beyond. This idea comes from a colleague in ministry as a aid in addressing hunger. It is called "fast" day, and this is how it will work at St. John's and for those who wish to participate across our e-mail list:

-Wednesday will be "fast day. On that day commit to skip a meal, or a dessert, or a cup of coffee(Starbucks addicts take note), and use the fast to pray for those who are hungry.
-At the end of each month donate what you would have spent on the meal, ect. to Redford Interfaith Relief, www.redford.pantrynet.org or your favorite hunger charity.
-No sign up is necessary. Simply decide what you will fast and go for it.
-Advice for when the cravings hit-use that as a reminder to pray for the poor, oppressed and hungry.
-Bicycle Pastor

No comments: