Thursday, March 20, 2008

Day 83 Maundy Thursday

Today is one of my favorite days in the life of the church because yearly it reminds me how difficult it is for me to accept help from others. Sure, it is easy to be a servant, to serve others, but when it comes to being served most of us, myself included, head for the hills. I wonder why we are so reluctant to accept or ask for help from others. Why do we resist the help of others in such a dramatic way? After all, in order for us to be servant doesn't someone have to be served? Why can't that person be us? Why can't we open ourselves up and be vulnerable enough with each other to allow ourselves to be served.

Today, when we go to the water basin and have our hands washed, when we symbolically wash ourselves as Jesus washed the disciples so long ago, I wonder how many of us will be moved by what we say, "In order to be a servant we first must be willing to be served". If we don't get that, I am not sure how much of a discipleship walk we can be on. Jesus told us, if you want to be like me and live into what I call you to this is a must do. You must humble yourself in service first by being served yourself.

Easier said than done.

No comments: