Saturday, March 15, 2008

Day 88 Saturday Evening Post for the 21st century

Today was a day right out of a Normal Rockwell Saturday Evening Post painting. It started with French toast with the family, Irish dance class with my daughter and a walk at the dog park with our black lab. It was a picturesque day, a giant slice of Americana. The only down side was a few police cars in the park, so our dog needed to stay on her lease until we reached the woods(this park allows dogs off leash once you hit the woods).

The woods were amazing, almost "Ansel Adams" like. As we walked along the trail we came upon a scene we were not prepared for. Our friends from the police were in the woods a short distance away. As we closed the gap, one of the officers came over and asked to speak with us out of earshot of my daughter. The officer informed my wife that a man had taken his life in the park and the officer wanted us to take another direction around the bend away from where the man was. We were able to steer clear of the scene with my daughter unaware, wondering if the police were looking for the skunk we had seen a few weeks earlier. Even though our walk went off without a hitch, it was not the same.

I was hit today with the reality that is all around us here in Metro Detroit. That people are suffering and looking for ways out. People are losing their jobs and their homes along with any sense of hope. It is a tough time to be in this part of the country. It reminded me to be on the lookout for people in crisis and not be so caught up in myself not to notice those around me who are suffering. As we journeyed through the woods, I prayed for the man who perished and those who loved him. I prayed for all those who are on the brink of hopelessness. I gave thanks for the blessings in my life. I wondered who in my circle is suffering. I asked God to plant a seed within me to check in with those I love.

Not exactly what Norman had in mind.

No comments: