Monday, March 17, 2008

Day 86 A thought for the day to be unpacked later...

Today I was riding around from place to place listening to a podcast through my new I-pod hook up in my Explorer. The speaker used a phrase that I have not been able to get out of my head. He said, "the more right you are the less nice you seem to be." And I wonder how often that is true in my life. I am on a journey of faith that constantly reminds me that I do not have to be right in my faith, just a participant on a journey. Yet I wonder if in the midst of that journey if my actions reflect that understanding. When I talk with people about faith in "something" or they try to convince me about how wrong I am to have a faith in transition I like to think that I remain as open minded as I can be, yet sometimes I feel this cynical "right" side coming out of me wondering when they will get it. It is the rather convincting notion "why can't they just get it the way I get it." That does not marry well with ideals that are supposed to reflect and openness and willingness to inform people how I experience something and never discount how they experience the same thing. I have come across people who are so sure they are "right" they turn me off. Today, on day 86, I hope and pray to God that I don't concern myself so much with being right that it keeps people from seeing the LIGHT.

No comments: